Saturday, July 16, 2011

I believe in the Chi Phi Fraternity

Again, I have fallen behind on blogs but I look to catch up within the next few days on my summer.

Today, I focus on an element of my life that represents my past, present, and future at least as a fraternity volunteer. I guess I want to reflect on my experience with the Chi Phi Fraternity. In 2008, I met Kim Godwin, Director of Leadership Education at the time, at UIFI Session 3. From then, I stayed in communication with her and discovered an opportunity to work as a field executive, or fraternity consultant, for Chi Phi Fraternity. Even with little knowledge of the fraternity, I began my research and landed a position working for Chi Phi Fraternity. During the next 14 months, I experienced the most dynamic levels of education and professional growth than I ever expected. Although I faced a few concerns regarding my credentials from alumni, I quickly worked to prove my worth to the organization.

After traveling to visit 40 chapters and colonies, multitude of Regional Leadership Alliances, and hundreds of conference calls for various educational and chapter development programs, I found my understanding my true passion for higher education and student development. I realized my potential to be a true Student Affairs professional. Although my discovery was refreshing, I had to make a hard decision to leave Chi Phi National Staff. Thus, my last hoorah was planning and execution of the 145th Chi Phi Congress in Boston, MA. When the 14 months had ended, I cried for various reasons but one was the fact that I felt I would lose the connections that I had to Chi Phi.

However, the connection remained. At the end of the 145th Congress, I was asked to co-chair a committee for the Grand Council on Accreditation, a program I had sent several months researching and developing for implementation within the fraternity. It was an honor to be asked but was not sure what would happen with the next year, especially since I was off to Florida State for graduate school.

Little did I know I would discover the most rewarding experience yet to come. The committee planned and executed a effective program for the pilot/research year with Chi Phi. Although we had some modifications and slight hiccups, the program proved to achieve the goal of the committee. The countless phone calls, conference call meetings with committee members, hours of meetings with graders and discussions about reviews, and presentations and proposals proved that it was all worth it.

This year at the 146th Chi Phi Congress I was excited to see the undergraduates support the program and move forward with the full implementation of the program after 7 years of preparation. I also was humbled by the organization to be recognized with the Distinguished Service Award. Just ask Lauren Moran. I was shocked as all get out. I thought that award was given to long time volunteers, not little ole me. When Michael Azarian began speaking and realized who it was, I started crying. I never realized the impact that I was making on Chi Phi Fraternity. My love and support of the organization will not change and look forward to the a lifetime of being a "Friend of Chi Phi."

Now, I look forward to a full year of implementation of accreditation. As we move the program moves forward, I wait in anticipation of how the results will continue to make for a better organization with stronger educational programs and a enhanced support network to move Chi Phi and the fraternal movement in a positive direction. In addition, I look forward to serving the fraternity and its members. As the undergraduates recite in the Chi Phi creed as do I as a volunteer, "I believe in the Chi Phi Fraternity." To this end, I thank you for believing in me and allowing me to come into the Chi Phi fraternal experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment