Tuesday, June 8, 2010

New Opportunities


It has been over a week since my last blog; however, I have had a few experiences that give me material to discuss through my blog. Therefore, I will catch you up on what is happening in my life. During the last week, I have seen potential career opportunities, frustration with people in my life, and had the opportunity to work with alumni and educate them about my generation. Each of these experiences has allowed me to evaluate my life a little differently than I have recently done through my religious pursuit.

As the week began, I evaluated what I plan to do with my life. I know that I am meant to work with college students and helping them enhance their college experience. However, I have never thought to look at it further than just that. Currently, I work in fraternity and sorority life and will be working as a graduate assistant in service learning at Florida State in the fall. Ultimately, I know I want to be a Dean of Students or Vice President of Student Affairs. The way I get there is through different opportunities and God's plan for my life.

As the week progressed, my understanding of what my future holds was hinder by frustrations with people who think they need to be involved in every decision I make as well as tear me down to make them feel empowered. I have learned that you will not "rain on my parade." I take each day in stride and know that they are only trying to do what is in the best interest of myself but sometimes those individuals need to step back and let life happen. It ALWAYS turns out like it should.

As the week came to a close, I spent time with alumni from across the Southeast educating them in various capacities on how to work with Chapters and Colonies as well as be an effective mentor and advisor. Although I experienced frustrations during the week, I love having the ability to educate others and help make a difference in the lives of college students. My favorite component of the weekend was the discussion I lead on the "Millennial Generation of College Students." As a member of this generation, it made me look deep at myself and help guide alumni into understanding us more. I do know that we have a tendency to be self-centered, highly competitive, and are more confident but we are striving to be a more accepting society.

Because of these concerns, I hope to provide the necessary tools to ensure that students to not lose sight of the important parts of communication and social interaction. It is even more important that generations before us understand so that they may help build the gap between the Baby Boomers, GenXers, and the Millennial generations. Social Excellence is crucial for this to continue. It is something that will change not only your life but the lives of others. It will make you more of a value to society and show how our generation has not lost the enthusiasm to care for others. Therefore, I believe in Phired Up Productions challenge:

"Challenge yourself everyday, in every social situation to engage. Be open. Be willing. Be curious. Be vulnerable. Be confident. Be responsible. Be fun. Make the decision. Dare yourself to be socially excellent and share the dare with others."

Make this a goal for yourself and you will see a difference not only in your life but in the lives that you interact. Thanks for listening to my learning outcomes this week and hopefully will have a new one for you tomorrow... until then, Love and Respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment