Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Perfect Fan


It has been a while since I wrote last and I need to catch up. I have so much to write about lately. Whether I think about how much I miss my family or thinking about relationships over the years, I have much to share with the world. So, we will start at the beginning. Yes, I mean the beginning. No we are not talking biblical but we are talking about where I began.

Throughout my life, I have had two people that have been there by my side. I never realized the importance of my parents until I graduated from high school. Of course, I cared and loved each of them but was an independent person through much of my life and tried to only let them know of what I needed or was struggling with until the last minute. As a child, I know I could be a handful and always wanted to be involved in it all. Surprising how my life is still that way.

When I was in middle and high school, I knew they expected "perfection" and I strove to live a life in such a manner. With that, I worked to make great grades and stayed involved in a plethora of activities, both during and after school. However, I did not realize when you have multiple children it can be more of a challenge.

Many times my parents only had time to drop me off at events for they were taking the others to daycare or their daily activities. I did not mind. Unfortunately, I became distant during my high school years because I never felt like that supported my activities. I felt like they only cared for my brothers but little did I know they always cared about me. I just seemed to go through that first born selfish phase.

When I left for college, it was bittersweet but not too hard since I moved in with my grandparents. My parents called and visited often. Mom was always by my side even when dad was overwhelmed with work and not able to attend or talk. Regardless, I knew that they cared.

It was in college how much more that I realized I needed them to talk things through on a daily or weekly basis. As my education progressed in college, my guidance became less and less and focused more on life lessons and getting their perspective. Through my years in college, they supported all my endeavors and attended many of my performances and ceremonies.

When I moved away to Lawrenceville, it was the first time I felt I was on my own but did not know I would face many challenges in this somewhat cruel world. However, I never forgot my parents, whether calling for advice or calling just to say "hello." I know I am not perfect but do try to live a life of virtue and promise. My parents have raised three great children with little praise or thanks for doing it. Therefore, I write this blog in honor of them, my parents, who have been together 27 years (28 years in August). Although they face struggles from time to times, they always make it a happy home and that I am thankful for and for raising three great sons each with our own personality and interests.

As I make up my memories of Georgia to move to Florida, I know that no matter where I go that they will love me unconditionally and be there for me through my trials and tribulations of life. Today, I salute to Darrell and Patti Dominy for teaching me how to me a man and educating me in a way that will provide for a family in the future. May God continue to bless our family in the ways that he always does. Love is timeless and their love is truly timeless for each and their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment